Pages

Thursday 28 April 2016

MY HOLIDAYS!!!

I can't believe that the holidays are almost over and school starts next week! This weeks been lots of fun and I have enjoyed being with my family! I wish it could last longer but I'm really excited to see all my friends. This week was all about me, my sister and my niece! My niece is soooo cute and I love playing with her, she is just a baby and hanging with my big sis is fun too. I love making my little niece laugh! I put her on my shoulders and she loves it, we go into my mum and dads room and look in the mirror with her on my shoulders she thinks its really funny! She always puts her forehead on mine and yells at the same time, I have no idea why she is doing it but its so cute! On Wednesday me, my mum, my sister and my niece traveled to the shoe store where me and my sister bought some new shoes! I got a new pair of dark blue sneakers and they look really cool, my sister bought some brown ankle boots. Next we went to Martha's backyard where they sell lots of american products, there we bought some snacks like chips, popcorn and cookies. 

If you saw my other holiday post you know that on the first week of the holidays I went to a holiday swimming program from Monday to Thursday. Where me and my friend khaia walked to the Glenn Innes pools to learn about how to be safe in the water and have fun. There were lots of kids there too, and they were all really fun to hang out with and have fun with in and out of the pool. We always start with a game outside then we hop into the pool and learn a few swimming strokes. We even got to go a inflatable boat in the swimming pool, we got to capsize the boat, it was really funny because when the boat flipped over it landed on top of me so I was under the boat! We would play flipper ball in the pool which is lots of fun, you just need to get the ball to touch the wall of the other side of the pool to score a goal. The team I was in won twice! It was really cool cause I helped score the goals. The last thing we would do was finish off with a game and we could win CHOCOLATE!! I won a few bars of chocolate and they were yummy! I was always tired after swimming but it was really fun. I really can't wait to go there again I had lots of fun and I met some cool kids too.

Lastly I learnt  the four R's which we use to help someone drowning and they are very important. The four R's stand for recognize, respond, rescue and revive. First is recognize, you have to know if they are drowning or not, like see if their heads are under the water and if their arms are flying everywhere. Second is rescue, If they are drowning don't swim up to them because they well use you to push themselves up to get some air and you might end up being the one in danger. So instead of swimming up to them throw them something that can float like an big empty bottle, so they can stay afloat and remember to keep talking to them like say that they are going to be okay and tell them that you are going to help them and that they should keep calm. The next part of rescue is to find a rope, when you have a rope kneel down and put your knee on the rope, then wrap the rope around your hand and get a tight grip. Lastly throw them the rope and when they grab it pull them in, then when you grab the person drowning grab their two hands and put your hands on theirs. The last R is revive and if you can pull them to safety and tell someone to call the ambulance, if you know how to do CPR then go ahead and do it but if not just wait for the ambulance to get there and just comfort the person. So thats what you need to do if someone is drowning! 


3 comments:

  1. Hi Lucy. It sounds like you had a fun but productive holidays! Well done to you and Khaia for going along to the Swim programme. Sounds like you learnt some important skills for staying safe in and around water. I like the four Rs and what they stand for. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a great holiday Lucy, its always fun to do something different,and learn something new at the same time.Good on you,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a great holiday Lucy, its always fun to do something different,and learn something new at the same time.Good on you,

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.